Tuesday 18 March 2008


I was set the task of finding something to do for an experience feature, so I decided to go speed dating, expecting a group of old, balding men, I was quite surprised when I walked into the event venue. Here is my feature about the event.
Name Tag. Check. Number. Check. 18 Men. Check. I’m number 6, my name is Mindi. Sitting at a round table in a dark bar with tinted purple flower windows there is a scent of alcohol mixed with the overuse of aftershave and perfume.

Two over enthusiastic women rally up the guys and girls who are scattered drinking and nervously chatting at 101 Bar on New Oxford Street. Jennifer and Lisa are our hosts for the night, Lisa does the introduction: “Welcome to slow dating, it’s like speed dating but you get an extra minute added to the usual three. Have a fun night, don’t be shy and don’t forget to shift when you hear the bell!”

The ringing of the bell begins the first date. Clement is a 27 year old French man and it’s his birthday. We awkwardly get through four minutes by babbling on about ourselves and our jobs. The bells sounds for a 30 second break to fill in your personal speeding ticket with a few details next to your date’s name. Clement gets a note detailing two things, French and birthday.
Slow Dating was established four years ago, the events take place in swanky bars in cities across the country, based on age ranges. I went to the 22 to 29 night and it proved to be an eye opener. The idea of speed dating for me was the last resort for people who couldn’t get dates. This naïve point of view was dispelled very quickly when I saw smartly dressed, attractive men and women making conversation with the hosts at the bar.

The event is amazingly fast although it lasts for an hour and a half. Split in two halves, the first part you see 10 dates and the second the remaining eight. By the time you get to the fifth or sixth date you will be exhausted and by then end of the first half you need the fifteen minute break, also known as another chance to get a drink at the bar.

During the exhilarating first half, where people are getting used to the art of trying to make the best impression on the person staring at them within a four minute deadline, I met Drew. This 23 year old man asked me what I did on Saturday, which threw me considering I had been asked my name and profession by the previous five dates. He’s ‘a veteran speed dater’ the girl sitting next to me spurts out a few seconds after Drew leaves our table. This means he’s been speed dating on more than one occasion.

40 minutes, five investment bakers, four IT consultants, a lawyer and an online gambler later it was definitely time for a break. The host Jennifer explained the attraction of speed dating. “It’s like having 18 dates in one night, many of the people at our events are professionals and therefore do not have time to go out and find someone.

“The service we offer is perfect, and if you don’t find anyone that matches you we give you a free pass to another event. Slow Dating also donates a percentage of their profits to breast cancer campaigns. Last year we gave £1000 to Against Breast Cancer.”

I felt as though my £22 wasn’t just for my own gain, it may end up being for a good cause. Roll on the alcohol fuelled second half. The men at this point of the evening are feeling very brave. Rajesh, another investment banker, at the end of our date asked me to guess what rating he was going to give me out of ten. Of course I declined such a narcissistic task. Some of them started with a joke, which I had to laugh at for the fear of being in a state of uncomfortable silence for the remaining three minutes.

Speed dating is fun, and extremely entertaining way to spend a night, you will meet a great mix of people who at the very least will be trying their best to impress. The day after a date night is always a difficult time for anyone, thinking about how to let someone down when they ask for another date or trying to get a chance to see someone again without sounding too keen.

With Slow Dating the online system puts all these worries in a box, you simply tick or you don’t. I took a liking to Australian Ben surprisingly an investment banker, so I ticked and suddenly received a text. ‘You have matched with Ben, see online for contact details.’

One successful night. Check.

No comments: